Doanh “Pye” Nguyen, O.D.
Dr. Nguyen graduated from University of California Los Angeles with a B.S. in Microbiology, Immunology, and Molecular Genetics. She then received her Doctor of Optometry from Western University of Health Sciences with Beta Sigma Kappa Honors. During her last year of clinical externships, she worked extensively with the special needs pediatric population and at the Indian Health Services Hospital at Fort Defiance, Arizona.
Dr. Nguyen is fluent in Vietnamese and conversational in Spanish and Japanese.
- California Optometric Association (COA)
- American Optometric Association (AOA)
- TriCounty Optometric Association
- Volunteer Optometric Services to Humanity (VOSH)
- College of Optometrists in Vision Development (COVD)
Vladislav P. Bekerman, M.D.
Dr. Vladislav P. Bekerman is a comprehensive ophthalmologist trained in diagnosing and managing all aspects of adolescent and adult eye care. Dr. Bekerman specializes in cataract surgery utilizing the most advanced technology including laser-assisted cataract surgery and intraocular lens implant techniques that correct astigmatism and simultaneous correction of distance, intermediate, and near vision. He also offers laser refractive surgery.
Dr. Bekerman is a former San Fernando Valley native. He received a Bachelor of Science from University of California, San Diego where he graduated Magna Cum Laude and was inducted into the Phi Bea Kappa academic honor society. He was a research intern at University of California, Los Angeles Jules Stein Eye Institute prior to attending Drexel University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania where he graduated with a Doctorate of Medicine and a Masters in Business Administration. During his time in Philadelphia, he continued his academic research at the world renown Wills Eye Hospital. He completed his residency training at Rutgers University, the only academic institution in the state of New Jersey providing ophthalmology care. In his spare time Dr. Bekerman enjoys spending me with his family, tennis, snowboarding, scuba diving, and traveling.
Cataract Surgery (laser-assisted, premium lens implants)
Refractive Surgery (LASIK/PRK)
Comprehensive Eye Care
Dry Eye Syndrome Management
Glaucoma – Medical and Surgical Management
Diabetic Eye Disease – Medical Management
Macular Degeneration – Medical Management
EDUCATION AND TRAINING:
Rutgers University, Newark, New Jersey
Ophthalmology Residency, June 2022
Crozer Chester Medical Center, Philadelphia, PA
Medical Internship, June 2019
Drexel University College of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA
Doctor of Medicine, May 2018
Lebow College Of Business, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA
Master of Business Administration, June 2017
University Of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA
Bachelor of Science, June 2012
PROFESSIONAL SOCIETY MEMBERSHIPS:
American Academy of Ophthalmology
American Society of Cataract and Refracve Surgery
Internaonal Society of Refracve Surgery
- Zhou B, Bekerman VP, Chu D, Khouri AS. A Case of Uveitis-glaucoma-hyphema Syndrome Due to a Tilted Toric Intraocular Lens. J Curr Glaucoma Pract. 2022.
- Bekerman VP, Berman E, You B, Turbin R, Frohman L. A Novel Mitochondrial Mutation for Lebers Hereditary Optic Neuropathy Presenting with Vitamin B12 Deficiency. J Neuroophthalmol. 2021 Aug 17. doi: 10.1097/WNO.0000000000001391. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34417767.
- Bekerman VP, Turbin R, Frohman LP. Subacute Bilateral Vision Loss. J Neuroophthalmol. 2021 Dec 1;41(4):e815. doi: 10.1097/WNO.0000000000001270. PMID: 34001742.
- Di Nicola M, Williams Jr. BK, Hua J, Bekerman VP, Mashayekhi A, Shields JA, Shields CL. Photodynamic Therapy (PDT) for Renal Hemangioblastoma: Treatment Outcomes in 17 Consecutive Patients. Ophthalmol Rena. 2021 Apr 20:S2468-6530(21)00124-X.
- Bekerman VP, Khouri AS. Topical glaucoma medications: From clinical trials to clinical experience. Insights into the use of these treatments as addative therapies for IOP reduction. Glauc Today. 2021;January.
- Gelles JD, Bekerman VP, Greenstein SA, Shafiq M, Hersh PS. Descemetocele Management with Therapeutic Scleral Lens Wear. Eye Contact Lens. 2020 Dec 1.
- Shields CL, Sioufi K, Srinivasan A, Di Nicola M, Masoomian B, Barna LE, Bekerman VP, Emrich J, Say ET, Mashayekhi, Komarnicky L, Shields JA. Small choroidal melanoma managed by plaque radiotherapy in 1780 cases: Visual outcome and millimeter incremental risk for metastasis. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2018 Dec 1;136(12):1325-1333.
- Shields CL, Di Nicola M, Bekerman VP, Kaliki S, Enzo F, Shields JA. Iris melanoma outcomes on the American Joint Commiee for Cancer classification (AJCC 8th edition) in 432 patients. The 2017 Samuel B. Johnson Lecture. Ophthalmology. 2018 Jun;125(6):913-923.
- Acaba LA, Bekerman VP, Shields CL. Don’t overlook oculodermal melanocytosis. Portends guarded prognosis for choroidal melanoma. Ret Today. 2017;October.
- Bekerman VP, Di Nicola M, Shields JA, Shields CL. American Joint Committee on Cancer (AJCC) Updated Classification (8th edion) for Primary Iris Melanoma. Ret Today. 2017; July/August.
- Kyung H, Kwong JM, Bekerman V, Gu L, Yadegari D, Caprioli J, Piri N. Celastrol supports survival of renal ganglion cells injured by optic nerve crush. Brain Research. 2015 Jun 3; 1609:21-30.
- Kwong JM, Gu L, Nassiri N, Bekerman V, Kumar-Singh R, Rhee KD, Yang XJ, Hauswirth WW, Caprioli J, Piri N. AAV-mediated and pharmacological induction of Hsp70 expression stimulates survival of renal ganglion cells following axonal injury. Gene Therapy. 2015 Feb;22(2):138-45.
- Bekerman VP, Hersh PS, Greenstein SA. Transepithelial Photorefractive Keratectomy after Insertion of Intraconal Ring Segments. American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, Annual Meeting; 2021 July 23-27; Las Vegas, NV.
- Bekerman VP. Introduction to Ophthalmology: Lecture Series. Rutgers New Jersey Medical School. November 2020 – February 2021; Newark, NJ.
- Bekerman VP; Poor AE; Colangelo TA; Havens BK; Meyers WC. Steroid Injecons for Core Muscle Injuries in High-Performance Athletes. Drexel University, College of Medicine Discover Day; 2014 August 2; Philadelphia, PA.